Ko-fi

How to be a rather bookish blogger

 



Every blog is different because each blogger is different. And, presumably, every blogger starts blogging for different reasons. So, there is going to be plenty that you will need to figure out for yourself. You don't want to follow a formula, because then you end up with something formulaic. However, I can tell you a little bit about my own experience, and you can take from that what you will.

Beginning

When I started blogging, I didn't really have a clear idea in my head as to why I had started blogging. I have an interest in writing - writing stories and poetry, pitching to magazine editors, etc. - and blogging was just another avenue to explore in pursuing that interest.

Of course, as a writer, I have taken more than my share of rejection, and the great bonus of starting up a blog seemed to be that I could write, publish, and attract readers without having to go through an editor, publisher, or agent (this can also be considered a negative - having to go through this is something that must be learned at some point as a writer). And so, I started a blog.

If you look back at earlier posts, I think you can tell that they are a bit less well structured, a bit less well written. I was still experimenting, and I do believe it shows. I haven't altered them though since I originally published them. I kind of like that they are there, reminders of how I have progressed.

Aside from my still experimenting back then, figuring out what was possible and the identity of this space, I didn't, as I said, really know why I had started the blog. I settled on writing about books and bookish things because I love to read, as simple as that. But, there were no goals or ambitions beyond having a place to write, preferably with a few readers along for the ride.

Ambitions have developed though as I have progressed. I have come to see that having a blog can be a great way to demonstrate my ability as a writer for those other writerly pursuits I undertake. Also, I have joined a couple of affiliate marketing schemes. However, I have tried to keep advertising in this space tasteful - this blog will never be primarily about trying to sell anything, it will always be about books and bookish things.

My interest in using this space to try and gain some supplementary income was really instigated by my losing work during the first UK lockdown, last year, because of the Covid-19 pandemic. However, as I say, making money will never be the primary goal. I suppose, having some sort of community is the goal, reaching out to people who share similar interests, values, and passions.

Writing articles

From the other book blogs that I have seen, I have noticed that a lot of bloggers have genre specific blog content. Whereas, you may have noticed, my content is more diverse. The original idea being that I would simply discuss those books that make up my bookshelves. I'm not sure if this holds me back - potential readers being put off by my lack of specificity - or whether the broad range of books I discuss might be a help in the long term. Time will tell.

Beyond discussing the books I read, I also decided to write and publish posts about bookish related topics. So, if you explore the blog, you might find posts on how to make time for reading (here), films based on books (here), or even on my experiences as a bookish blogger (this post you're reading right now).

It's hard to say which posts are going to be popular and which ones aren't. And, besides, posts tend to garner attention incrementally, or at least they do in my experience. However, my most recently published posts which have been relatively popular are ones on reading challenges (here), and a review of Kazuo Ishiguro's The Buried Giant (here). But again, other posts have gained attention as well and reader numbers increase incrementally.

Outside of analysing and reviewing books that I have read, I have written a few list pieces, "how to" pieces, pieces inspired by news items . . . Pretty much anything bookish related that captures my interest, is a joy to write, and hopefully of interest to readers. And, chances are that if it is a pleasure for you to write there will be someone for whom it is a pleasure to read.

I think my one piece of advice would be to persevere. Even if you are writing and you suspect that no one is reading, you started blogging for a reason. If you still have that reason, and the writing is good, and getting better, the readers will come. 

Of course, getting the readers to come may mean having to leave the blog for a while . . .

Followers/support

Social media, especially Twitter, has been great in terms of finding support, even something of a community.

On Twitter, I have felt embraced by the book blogger community. From sharing each others' blog posts, to tagging each other to boost awareness of your efforts, the Twitter book blogger community has been wonderful. They are gosh darn friendly bunch too!

Beyond Twitter, I don't really make much use of Facebook for my bookish/writerly pursuits, simply out of personal preferences, but you can sometimes find me sharing bookish things on Instagram, though my bookish interests there are nestled amongst other of my interests too.

Away from social media, I have also set up a ko-fi page. Ko-fi is a platform specifically for creatives, and it is designed as a way for those creatives to stay in touch with supporters and, yes, to try and garner some monetary support for their efforts. This I set up with a view to gaining some donations for my writing, and also as a space for sharing what I am up to and learning from others.

Unfortunately, ko-fi hasn't garnered any donations/support for me yet, money wise at least, but I have found other creatives on there who have been kind enough to offer support in other ways (following my page, critiquing work in progress, etc.) which is very much appreciated.

Going forward, I have made something of a little promise to myself. I will, in the not too distant future, and at least once a month, donate to other creatives on the platform. It is pretty tricky to get support as creatives, and I have come to the conclusion that you gotta give, even if you don't get. If you're not getting, you know how hard it is, right? Give someone else that little boost!

Search engine optimisation

Okay. I am not going to talk about this one very much at all because . . . Well, because I don't know very much about how to make use of it, to be honest!

However, I am aware of it, and I am trying to learn more about it and how to make use of it. This because a better understanding of SEO can improve readership numbers, and at a certain point a desire to see your blog grow will kick in. So, search engine optimisation is something to be aware of and, if you're not sure of how to make use of it, research.

Again, the community on Twitter has been a great source of support in my pursuit of trying to better understand SEO. If you are just starting out as a book blogger, just search "#bookblogger" on Twitter, and immerse yourself into the wonderful world of the book blogging Twitterverse!


This piece can be taken as a bit of a "how to" guide to bookish blogging, but really all I can tell you is how I went about putting my blog together. However, maybe you hate the look of my blog (how could you!?), and you want to do something totally different. And, of course you do! You're you, and I'm me, and you should make the blog that you would want to read. Whatever you do, I hope you found this post useful, or at least enjoyable.

If you did like this post, or any others, perhaps you would consider following/supporting me on ko-fi. Ko-fi is a platform for creatives, and it's a great way to stay in touch with followers and supporters. Any and all donations/support are received gratefully and are very much appreciated!

Stay safe, and see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment