Ko-fi

How to Find More Time for Reading

 


If you enjoy this post, or any of the others, please consider supporting me over at ko-fi - it keeps me writing, and it is very much appreciated!


In my personal experience, reading seems to be one of those things that people give up first when they are trying to manage their time. And, given the many benefits of reading (you can read a blog post I have written on the benefits of reading here), plus the pleasure that can be gotten from a good book, that seems a real shame to me. However, it is also understandable - books require time and effort from the reader that other forms of entertainment might not.

With this in mind, I thought I would share a few practices - I think they might help make time for those that aren't ready to give up their love for literature. I have practiced some of these, and others I have observed being practiced, with some degree of success.

Staking a claim

My first piece of advice would be to simply stake a claim to a certain amount of time in the day, half an hour perhaps, if you can get it, letting others know what that time is for, and that it is important to you that you have that time for yourself. We ought not to feel so selfish about taking some time for ourselves. I mean, as long as the kids aren't on fire and the house is still standing, I think they can spare you for a little while.

If you feel guilty, take a look at that - it might be that you have nothing to feel guilty about. Our lives ought not to be made up purely of the demands and expectations put on us by others, and you're allowed to claim a little time in the day for yourself. So, set aside some reading time in your diary, or set an alarm on your phone for an appointment with yourself - I have done both, and I've found them helpful.

Audio-books

A practice that I haven't tried much myself, but which I have seen work wonders for others, is reading with your ears!

With platforms like Audible or YouTube, audiobooks are a great way for some to insert some bookish time into their day. You can listen to a book during the commute to/from work; when you're on the school run; when you're at the gym; as you're cooking dinner . . . The list can go on!

Personally, I don't make use of audiobooks, but I have seen others make use of them, and they've said that they are a great way to get more reading time. I have even known some who find picking up a book to read a bit of a chore, but who enjoy listening to an audiobook!

Multiple reader

Something that I have started doing, something which I didn't used to do, is to read more than one book at a time. I used to think that by giving my attention to more than one book at a time it would be a distraction but, personally, I haven't that to be the case. I usually have my "main read", and then there's a "side read" (usually something a bit lighter than my main read) that I pick up between the chapters of my main read. I understand if this doesn't work for you - I was averse to the suggestion myself for some time - but I thought I would put it out there.

Concealed book

Perhaps my favourite suggestion would be to always have a book about your person. When we go out into the world, we often find ourselves with time on our hands at some point - waiting in lines, in waiting rooms, travel time, etc. Having a book in my bag has been a blessing on more than one occasion. I do love to take long walks as well, and a long walk can be made even better when you've a good book to dip into when you find a good bench in a quiet spot. Though, if you'll take my advice, you'll be mindful of others when you take out your book. And, just because the dates going well, or that Zoom meeting is a bit boring, it's probably going to cause more issues than it'll solve if you take out your book!


I hope that these few suggestions have been useful, or at least enjoyable. And don't forget, seriously, their ought not to be any guilt or shame in claiming some joy in our day-to-day lives. 



Read lots, be good, do good. And, I'll see you again soon.

Oh, and Happy Easter weekend! (If you have dogs, be careful they don't get in the chocolate or the hot cross buns!)


You can find me on ko-fi here, a platform for creators and supporters of those creators - it keeps me blogging and pursuing other writerly goals, and every supporter is very much appreciated. Plans for rewards and commissions are being considered and may be added soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment