Ko-fi

Asking my-eighteen-year-old bookish-self a few questions . . .

 

Disclaimer: this blog is affiliated with bookshop.org and Waterstones and, if you make any purchases through links in this blog, I might earn a small commission from the sale. However, this does not affect the price of the product, and it does not influence the content of this blog.


Half a life time ago, I was an eighteen-year-old young man, his life ahead of him, and I had little idea what I was going to do with that life. As I have a little sit down with my younger self, to ask myself a few questions about my bookish habits back then, it might be wise I don't let it slip I still don't know what I am doing with my life - let him have some hope!


Me: Hello there, eighteen-year-old me. How are you?

Eighteen-year-old me: Hi. Fine.

Me: Cool. So, I would just like to ask you a few questions about what you're reading, if that's okay?

Eighteen-year-old me: Yeah, that's fine.

Me: Okay. Well, I suppose I will start with, what do you like to read?

Eighteen-year-old me: Um. I read a few different sorts of books. I've read some of the James Bond novels . . . I read On The Road by Jack Kerouac. And crime novels. And I read Clockwork Orange not too long ago.

Me: Which crime novels do you like to read?

Eighteen-year-old me: I like Agatha Christie's books. And I like the Rebus novels, the ones I have read. And Ruth Rendell too. I just started reading her books.

Me: What drew you to the Bond novels?

Eighteen-year-old: I liked the films. I grew up with them, so when I found the books, where it started, I wanted to read them. Though they're a bit different from the films.

Me: How so?

Eighteen-year-old me: The films are a bit lighter. The books heavier. Which makes sense. I mean, the character's basically a government licensed assassin - that's going to be a brutal life.

Me: What are some of the central themes to the Bond novels?

Eighteen-year-old: Well, a lot of it is just adventure and spy story . . . But, there is heavier stuff in there. I mean, people think of Bond as just being a spy who shags, drinks, and kills people with a cool line. But, in the books anyway, he falls in love, he experiences loss, there is some character development. Jeez, in one of the books, he sits in a park and considers the flowers in one chapter!

Me: You Only Live Twice, I think.

Eighteen-year-old me: Yeah. The one after the novel in which his wife is murdered . . .


Me: Okay. So, you mentioned On The Road as well. What did you think of that? Why do you think Kerouac wrote that book?

Eighteen-year-old me: I liked it. From what I understand, the book is based on his own experiences. I liked it, yeah. I feel a bit restless myself sometimes. I'd quite like to take off on an adventure like that, experience things a bit.

Me: Me too . . .

Eighteen-year-old me: Huh?

Me: Oh, nothing. Doesn't matter. You like crime too then? Why do you like crime?

Eighteen-year-old me: Hmm. Not sure. They can be dark. But I like Christie's books too, and they're not quite so dark. I like the suspense, how each chapter can answer questions but also throw up new ones. And then there's the big reveal at the end! But, you have to have good characters, and a good story. Not interested in crime by numbers. Not interested in blood, gore, and swearing either, not if it's just there to try and seem edgy.

Good crime novels are just really good stories. They're fun, but they can also touch on themes that are deeper . . .

Me: I like crime too. 

Eighteen-year-old me: You're me though, right, so . . . ?

Me: Yes. But, some things change, some things fall away . . .

Eighteen-year-old me: Oh. Yeah . . .

Me: Ahem. You mentioned Clockwork Orange too. Did you like that? What drew you to that?

Eighteen-year-old me: Honestly? I kind of just wanted to read something dangerous. I was surprised when I found it in the school library. I was in there during lunch one time, and somebody came in, someone I knew, and they made fun of me for spending my lunch break reading - they had no idea what was going on in the pages of that book!

I liked it. It was shocking, yeah, with the violence and everything. But, I think it went deeper than that. In one of my classes once, we talked about how the state is violent. Like, threats of violence is how the state keeps peace and order. If you know what I mean. Well, this book explores that.

Me: I know what you mean. Thanks for talking with me. I'll let you go. It was good to see you. Look after yourself, and, you know, don't let your fears get in the way of your hopes.

Eighteen-year-old me: Uh, yeah. You too. See ya.




Thank you for reading. Before you go, can I ask that you consider supporting this blog with a coffee from ko-fi.com - the caffeine keeps me reminiscing!

I avoid ad space here as much as I can. I would prefer that this blog generate conversation rather than sales!

I write here because of my passion for books, and I want that to shine through. But, as I invest time in researching, writing, proofreading, editing . . . each post, I ask readers, if they can, to consider a small donation to keep the blog going. If you can, please do visit ko-fi.com, and I will see you again soon. Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment