Ko-fi

Maya Angelou, US quarters, and making history!

 

Maya Angelou (image from New York Times website; nytimes.com)


There is a glut of authors that I have not yet read, writers who have been on my personal reading list for a while. And I am ashamed to say that I have yet to open the covers of a book authored by Maya Angelou. However, I recently purchased Letter to My Daughter, and I am now just awaiting its arrival. I can't tell you why that that is my first purchase of Angelou's writing, just that it came to my attention and it appealed to my interest. That's all.

And, just as I begin my discovery of Angelou's work, she has become the first Black woman to appear on a US quarter (theguardian.com/books/). 

Though I haven't yet read any of Maya Angelou's work, I am aware, of course, of the weight of her writing on the literary landscape, having brought Angelou respect and recognition as a spokesperson for Black people and women. 

I am sure that I will be back to tell you all about my discovery of Angelou's work at a later date.


Thank you for reading. I hope to be back soon, writing about Maya Angelou and her work, and perhaps other small celebrations recognising icons from the world of books and literature.

If you can, please consider supporting this blog with a coffee for the author over on ko-fi.com - the caffeine keeps me reading and writing. Thank you to every supporter!



2 comments:

  1. I've read I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings and enjoyed the book, but this was back in 2009 before I started blogging so I didn't write a review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another book that's on my personal reading list - so many books to read and such little time!

      Delete