Ko-fi

1. Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis by Sigmund Freud - a book review and analysis

 


Disclaimer: should you make a purchase through any of the links in this blog, I may earn a commission from the sellers, but that has no impact on the cost to you as the consumer, nor does it influence the content of this blog.

If you are looking for an introduction to psychoanalysis and Freud, you can do worse than picking up his Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis. I mean, it's the man himself, in his own words, covering the topic.

Within this volume, the reader will find twenty-eight lectures spread into three parts. The first part covers slips of the tongue, the second part covers dreams, and the third part covers neuroses. Almost everything that Freud is well known for - has become a bit of a pop figure for really - is within these pages, Freudian slips; dream interpretation; and, sex and the libido!

And, I think those were my favourite parts of the book. Those parts where a little flesh was added to the bones of my knowledge regarding Freud's work.

If you are looking for a truly in-depth exploration of Freud's work and theories though, you might wish to look else where. Freud himself said that this book was for the laymen, "for the multitude". Indeed, Freud's work here is written in an almost conversational manner; he even asks questions that he anticipates the reader (or listener) might ask of this lecturer. 

Reading this book was a bit of a slow burn for me. It is an interesting read, but it was the sort of material I need a break from for a while before returning to for another go. Having said that, when I did read, I read a number of chapters at a go before I needed a break. 

This is the first book I have read by Freud. Would I read another? Honest answer, I don't know. I might, but I'm not itching to add one to my ever growing "to be read" pile. Perhaps I am just not a big enough fan of Freud and psychoanalysis. I am generally curious, but not greatly so.

If you would like to purchase your own copy of Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis by Sigmund Freud, follow the link here


If you enjoyed this piece, or any other post on this blog, please follow and support me on ko-fi where I often update about what's going on here, there and everywhere in my blogging/writerly world! And, thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment