Ko-fi

Of course you hate the film if you love the book that much!

 

Disclaimer: should you make any purchases through links in this blog, Monsta Reader may earn a commission from the seller, but that has no impact on the cost to you as the consumer and it does not influence the content of this blog.


Whenever a book gets the big screen treatment, you can almost take it for granted that you will see the book published with tie-in movie artwork on the cover. As with the example above. And, I get it; if you have a book in your stable that's been turned into a big successful summer blockbuster type film, that's a whole host of potential readers that might not have bought one of your books before. I would take advantage of that!

"Now a major motion picture!"

Indeed.

Then we come along; the serious book readers. The ones who snort with derision, and say, "Well, I read the book before I saw the film, so there." 

God, we must be annoying . . .

Because, the thing is, isn't comparing books and films a pointless exercise? Kind of redundant? I mean, they are two very different ways of telling a story. That's why they both exist.

I make the comparisons though, and I ask that question - "Was the book better than the film?" Or vice versa. 

Yesterday, I was in a car with a friend of my sister's, and I found myself having to admit that I haven't read Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh. But I have seen the film. And, I asked the question then; how do they compare?

How silly of me!

I must have forgotten that it is damn near impossible to translate a story from book to screen one-hundred per cent faithfully. I mean, if filmmakers were to do that, we'd get a lot of adaptations that had run times of hours and hours! I must have forgotten that books, by their nature, have the time and space to flesh out characters in a way that film just can't. That if some of those scenes from the book were included in the film, the film would drag in the middle. Etc.

Still, I understand the temptation. When someone takes the characters and the story that you have loved, that you have immersed yourself in, and made a part of yourself, you want to see them treated well. 

Or, maybe, I am overthinking this. I don't know.

What do you think??? Tell me in the comments, and share this with your friends (both the bookish and the film buffs) and see what they think. 

Thank you for reading. If you enjoyed this piece of rambling pontificating ponderings, please consider following/supporting me on ko-fi so that I can keep writing here, and anywhere else that the likes of me might be allowed to do his thing!


1 comment:

  1. Fo IT I loved both, I tend not to compare them exactly the books doesn't have a time limit the movies do, I do see if they at least nailed the overall idea of the book

    ReplyDelete