Ko-fi

Stories in the sun

 


It's June, and, here in south east England, the sun has been shining. So, just like every good English person under the slightest sliver of sunshine, I find myself in a summery mood! With that in mind, I am going to take a little look at a few novels, and one novella, that are set in the summer time.


The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since. And so begins this modern classic of American literature. Published in 1925, this short book (148 pages) tells the story of Jay Gatsby, through the eyes of Nick Carraway, and the characters around him. This is a story of decadence, longing, and tragedy. For, although Gatsby is a self-made man, known for his champagne-fuelled parties, he longs for Daisy Buchanan. And, in the telling of this story, we follow that longing to its tragic conclusion.


To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

This book first came into my life when I was at school, as a book assigned to the English class. And now, I have my own copy standing proudly on my shelves. Like the previous entry, this book is something of a modern American classic. It tells the story of a lawyer defending a black man, who is accused of the rape of a white girl, in the Deep South of the 1930's. Through the eyes of young Scout and Jem Finch, the novel explores themes of prejudice, violence, and hypocrisy - themes still all too relevant today, sixty-one years after the novel's publication. 

Apt Pupil by Stephen King

I was torn between including this title or The Body, both novellas by King and featuring in his collection, Different Seasons. However, I opted for Apt Pupil because I think the other title (upon which the film Stand By Me is based) is the better known, and I would prefer to look at the lesser known story. So, in this offering from King, we are told the tale of Todd Bowden, the pupil of the title. He is an all-American kid, but, in his neighbourhood, a familiar and human evil lurks. And, as his curiosity reawakens that evil, it might just end up corrupting him too.


The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

I took a look at this novel in more detail in an earlier post (here), and would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone that hasn't read it yet. It is a beautiful book. As we follow Stevens, the ageing butler of Darlington Hall, on a road trip deep into the countryside of England in the summer of 1956, the story explores themes of lost causes and lost love. It is a novel that explores those things that go unsaid, those things that can't be undone. It is a sad but beautiful story, and this Booker Prize winning novel is worthy of every ounce of praise it has received.


If you enjoyed this post, please do consider following/supporting me over on ko-fi where I post an update each time I publish a new post here, and I offer up some of my other writerly endeavours for scrutiny. Ko-fi is a platform specifically for creatives and their followers, and all support is gratefully received - it makes a real difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment