Ko-fi

"And did those feet in ancient time" by William Blake - a review and analysis

 


Disclaimer: should you make any purchases through links in this blog, I may earn a commission from the seller, but that does not impact upon the cost to you as the consumer, nor does it influence the content of this blog.

This poem of four stanzas is probably one of Blake's better known contributions to poetry. Here he considers the tale that Jesus might have visited England. However, rather than ponder the likelihood of Jesus ever having really set foot on English land, he considers the divinity that such a visit would have brought to England, and he compares that heavenly ideal with the "Satanic Mills" of the Industrial Revolution.

Much of Blake's work was concerned with humanity, and striving for good. If you read my earlier post on his poem, William Bond, you will know he considered the common love that can exist between people. And, in this poem, And did those feet in ancient time, one need not be particularly religious or a believer in Christ to appreciate its message; Blake has used the idea of Jesus visiting England to consider the problems of the Industrial Revolution (destruction of "green & pleasant Land" for a start) and how we might strive to make a better society for all.


Bring me my Bow of burning gold:

Bring me my Arrows of desire:

Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!

Bring me my Chariot of fire!


If you have been reading my posts recently, you will know that I am a bit stuck on Blake at the moment; in a good way though. And, that's because, to put it simply, his poetry speaks to me. I can't really put it any simpler - or more sickeningly corny - than that. He speaks of a desire for a better world, more love and understanding between people, striving for a better society, equality . . . His ideals sound almost like those of any modern person who is engaged, and aware of the ways of the world. But, Blake walked this world two centuries ago!

If you would like to read more of Blake's poetry, you can find links to a couple of his collections in previous of my blog posts here and here, from bookshop.org, who support independent bookshops.


If you enjoyed this post, or any others, please consider following/supporting me over on ko-fi, a platform specifically for creative types and the wonderful folk that follow them. All support is gratefully received and very much appreciated!


Thank you for reading. Stay safe. Stay well. Read lots of good books.

2 comments:

  1. We sang this so many times at school that, as soon as I read your post title, I could still remember every line, yet I don't recall ever having thought about what Blake meant by this poem before. Now I read your post I see it's not the triumphal proclamation I'd always blithely assumed, but more of a statement against what the country had degenerated to in Blake's time.
    Thank you for getting me thinking :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading.
      Yes, I think when something becomes so well known, ubiquitous, it can pass over us without leaving its intended meaning.
      Thank you for your kindness, and commenting; it's nice to create a bit of a dialogue!

      Delete