Ko-fi

Coveted remunerations from writing . . .

 

Disclaimer: Monsta Reader is affiliated with bookshop.org and Waterstones. If you should make a purchase through any of the links in this blog, I might earn a small commission from the sale. However, this does not affect the prices of the items, and it does not influence the content of this blog.


I harbour hopes and dreams of making money from my writing. Not just that, but making a career out of it too.

In my teens, I was racked with anxiety and, perhaps consequently, an almost complete lack of confidence and self-esteem. And I didn't even begin to make sense of that until I was in my twenties, so I was kind of distracted in my younger years. I didn't figure out what I wanted from life, including the career path I wanted to take. So, in adulthood, I drifted into jobs that meant very little to me, and I never found myself at the bottom of any ladders that I wanted to climb.

From my youngest years, I had been an avid reader, but I didn't know how to do anything with that. The thought of being a writer didn't even occur to me; books were magic things, created by otherworldly beings, a sort of divine thing that I could never hope to touch! In my council house home, hand-me-down world, such hopes and dreams weren't even considered.


It's no coincidence that this blog concerns itself with books. It is driven by a love for the written word; my love for writing is an extension of my love for reading. And I am addicted!

When I started this blog, I had very few motivating factors, just that I wanted to write and a blog seemed an avenue wide open for exploration. There was, in the back of my mind, thoughts of how I might exploit an online presence in the future, but they were the vaguest of thoughts, not even half-formed. They were but wisps of mist, hanging over the main body of the idea - to write!

This blog, this space, is where I come most to write. I also write poems and little stories, but none have gotten me recognition or remuneration yet. There have been a few filler pieces in magazines published but, overall, in terms of money and recognition, it has to be said, I am a rather unsuccessful writer!

Now, partly, I must shoulder some of the blame for this. Like many writers before me, both great and mediocre, I am prone to procrastination - the great enemy of every writer! And, I am an embarrassingly ineffective self-marketer. Rather than striving to understand algorithms and all that jazz, I have been immersing myself into "How to write . . ." books, and trying to perfect technique and style. I research, write, proofread, edit, rewrite . . . and by the time I get to the marketing, sharing all over social media, and whatnot, I am ready for coffee, cake, and not much else.

Here's the problem - I am a writer, and so, I am trying to perfect my writing. And, as much as I read all about how one can go about being a more effective creator of content for social media, and improve chances of being found through online searches, my heart is only half in all that stuff. The problem is, I don't want to sell, I want to engage. But, we live in a world of CEOs and influencers, I suppose . . . One has to diversify to be successful, don't ya know.


I enjoy writing. It exorcises, it invigorates, it quiets the ego, feeds the soul . . . And I will continue to write, despite the lack of money and recognition. I will write because of all that deeper and richer stuff, and I will write just because I enjoy writing. But I will also continue to hope for, and work towards, a career as a writer. I think I deserve it. I think I am a good writer. Not the best - though I certainly see others whose work I could surpass getting the recognition that I covet - but I am getting better.


Will you do me a favour? If you read a piece, and if it's well written, and well researched, will you share that piece with your friends on social media? If the writer asks for a donation, and you are able to do so, will you give that donation? If you are able to offer a little time, effort, or money to support their efforts, will you do so?

Because, here's the thing; if that piece is well written, and well researched, it might have taken you minutes to read, but it has probably taken that writer hours of their time and effort. And you know, I look around, and I see the articles and the headlines that are obviously just there to get clicks - we all resent them! - but they exist because they work. Because they get the clicks and the support. Like I said, it's a world of CEOs and influencers, and the quality of the writing takes a backseat. But, if we support the good writers (and I don't know if I can lay claim to that title, that's up to you to decide), they rise - when you pay for good writing, you get good writing.


Anyway, if you do that, I swear that I shall try to be a better writer, worthy of the hopes and dreams I hold to me.

Thank you.



Just before you go, can I ask that you please consider supporting this blog with a coffee from ko-fi.com - the caffeine keeps me getting better . . .

Though I am affiliated with booksellers, I resist ad space where it is unnecessary because I would prefer to generate conversation and engagement, rather than sales. Plus, them ads are annoying! Disrupting the flow and what have you . . . !

With writerly ambitions, I throw myself on the support of readers for this blog, and so, if you can, please visit ko-fi.com, where you can offer support, find links to other blog posts, and read other writing efforts.

And, thank you again, readers and supporters!



No comments:

Post a Comment