Ko-fi

This Rather Bookish Blogger Needs More Women Authors on His Bookshelves!

 


Disclaimer: should you make any purchases through links in this blog, Monsta Reader may earn a commission from the sellers, but that has no impact on the cost to you as the consumer, nor does it influence the content of this blog.

I loved Agatha Christie's novels when I was younger. Still do, as a matter of fact. And, I've read Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre much more than once, finding much within those pages. And, Sylvia Plath's (pictured above) writing is violent, and beautiful, and sad, and hopeful, and so much more. And, Patricia Highsmith has written some of the best crime/suspense fiction that was ever written . . . There are many talented women writers out there!

And, I thought I was doing pretty well in the diverse-bookshelves stakes. But, as I peruse those shelves, I can't help but notice any given shelf is mostly populated by books written by male authors. How come?

Perhaps it has something to do with a desire to see a little of myself reflected in the books I read, other male voices. I suppose that's a valid reason to enjoy and find meaning in a pastime and a passion; seeing something of myself in the words on the page can feel reassuring. And, I know that I am not the only one that enjoys a book because it offers a little comfort, acceptance, and validation. Being male is a part of my experience. My relationship with my gender isn't totally straightforward . . . but I might save that for another time. Another place. Or not.

There are no shelves without any female voices on them. But the male voices do outnumber them by a little way. And, as I say, it isn't because I am put off by women authors. So, here's my question, which books, written by women authors would you recommend to me? To anyone really? 

A few books written by women I wholly recommend!

The Five by Hallie Rubenhold - Non-fiction; a look at the lives of the women killed by Jack the Ripper. And, a book that asks, why have we made famous this monster? More famous than any of the women who met their ends at his hands in 1888?

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley - Mary Shelley was only nineteen years old when she wrote this chilling and classic tale! We've all heard of this story, a young scientist's desire to create life!

The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton - (I wrote about this one here) We meet Nella Oortman, eighteen years old, newly married in the Amsterdam of 1686. What follows is a story of secrets slowly revealed and the dangers that can unravel along with them.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë - I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will. Meet Jane Eyre, a young orphan determined to not be defined by her unfortunate circumstances.

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie - The famous Orient Express is stopped in its tracks by a snowdrift. And, with a killer onboard and a passenger lying murdered in his compartment, we might be thankful that Hercule Poirot is there to exercise his little grey cells! Mon Dieu!

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank - this book has been read by tens of millions of people. It is humanity in the inhuman. It is hope where there was hopelessness. It's life where there was death. A must read.

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman - Meet Eleanor Oliphant. She is fine. But not really.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce - Harold Fry leaves the house to post a letter, his wife is upstairs, but then he reaches the post box and he keeps going. He just feels a need to keep walking.


I hope you found this piece enjoyable or informative. If you did, perhaps you'd follow/support me over at Ko-fi, so that I can focus on writing and bringing content such as the preceding. All support is gratefully received and very much appreciated!


No comments:

Post a Comment